- Read house plans & know basic design concepts important to residences
- Understand fundamentals of residential electrical, water, sewer and HVAC
- Learn basic housing cost estimating methods
- Understand alternative designs and energy sources for houses
- Provide a comprehensive design of an assigned project that integrates the elements of design covered in class
Office Hours: Wednesdays 1-3 pm or upon appointment. Mail box located in suite 360K of AESB
Lecture: Monday and Wednesday @ 11am in room 204 AESB
Lab: Tuesday from 10-11:50am in room 204 AESB
Required Textbook: The House Handbook. MidWest Plan Service (MWPS) – 16.
- A calculator and straight edge will be needed for all tests. Pencil & eraser recommended.
- Can be made up with an excuse from an emergency dean or dean of college.
- Tests will include short answer, multiple choice and long answer problems. Instructor has the right to give any type of problem deemed necessary.
Homework is due by the end of the class or lab. Late homework will be deducted 10 points for every day turned in late. Usually it will be assigned on each Wednesday and due by end of Wednesday lab the following week. Homework problems and exam questions are closely correlated.
All homework will require the following:
- easily legible
- Homework that requires multiple pages should be bound (paper clip, staple, etc.).
- Drawings should be done with a computer aided drafting program or hand drawn with a straight edge and on engineering paper.
- All drawings will be required to be drawn TO SCALE.
- The following at the top of EACH page:
Name Homework Assignment # Due Date Page/total pages
Your rights and responsibilities as a student at University of Illinois are very clear, and documented in the University of Illinois Student Code. Cheating/plagiarism will not be tolerated on any of the homework, tests or final. The procedures followed for any student caught cheating is in Article 1, Part 4 of the Student Code: www.admin.uiuc.edu/policy/code/Disability policy:
This course will assist any person with physical, mental or learning disability. Please provide proper notification from the dean or Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) for the instructor to consider and comply with any request.